FLOT Con Text Blog

Welcome to Flot-Con Text: a blog where I release my newest poetry since and as of twentyten. Enjoy! Peace!
Sam Flot

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

99 Percent Strong


99 Percent Strong
by Sam Flot  2011



for the American Autumn

|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|

Abe Lincoln looked at me
From the side of a penny and said “1993
In God We Trust ~ Liberty
Another day you worked all you get is one of me

“What happens to the other 99 cents?”  I asked old Abe
“A dollar a day is minimum wage
If I only get a penny how can I save?
How can I buy food?  Should I live in a cave?”

Abe answered me after a real long stare
“Get outta my mind, get outta my hair 
I don’t think it’s legit and fair, it’s not my deal, not that I don’t care
Get your own soapbox,  go down to your own town square

I freed the slaves and for that you see
This pretty profile of mine can grace a penny
A sarcastic honor, it  just might be
99% getting just one Lincoln  penny

We live here right now no money no jobs
We can’t trust the government, they call us a mob
We can only go to the streets and scream and sob
The health code enforced by the tear gas they lob
Hey there Abe, you’re a damn good penny
But we need more than that from this land of plenty
We follow the orders of the one percent for a fee
They let us subsist scraping by just barely

One percent you’ve used of us all for too long
One percent takes from the 99 percent strong
Every bully has it’s day and it won’t be long
Until 99 percent stands up 99 percent strong

11.1.11

No comments:

Post a Comment